The following terminology is used both here and in sap-rge.
- The code implementing Prolog's built-in predicates, plus support
code such as memory management needed for running Prolog.
- Runtime Kernel
- Provides only the core set of built-in predicates.
- Extended Runtime Kernel
- An add-on product. It provides the
core set of built-in predicates, and in addition allows the compiler
and dynamic foreign language interface to be used in runtime systems.
- Development Kernel
- Provides the facilities of the Runtime Kernel,
plus additional built-in predicates, the compiler, the debugger, and
- runtime system
- A Prolog application that has been linked with the Runtime
Kernel; intended for delivery to end-users.
- stand-alone program
- A Prolog program that has been linked with the
Development Kernel; an extended version of the Development System.
- static linking
- Linking a Prolog program to either the Development
Kernel or the Runtime Kernel.